Saturday, June 20, 2009

Silence Is Golden

I took a much needed break yesterday. I spent the day floating in the pool on a raft smoking cigars. I needed solitude.

One of the most underrated spiritual practices in our culture, I believe, is solitude. I get so into doing that the thought of solitude makes me cringe. But lately I’ve seen that if I fail to seek solitude I many times fail to really seek God. I never stopped praying, but I found that what I was praying was growing evermore shallow. It wasn't that I didn't seek God, it’s just that I was spending more time seeking answers from Him than I was seeking Him as the answer.

So I took a day - a personal day during my vacation - and I went and just talked with God. I prayed. I worshiped. I journeyed. And there in the quiet of the pool floating alone - I realized how desperately I needed that time.

Yesterday, I commitment to seek solitude like this, once a quarter. That time brought so much clarity to my relationship with God, to my focus in life and ministry, that I cannot afford not to seek it out solitude on a regular basis.

The old saying is true in my life, "silence is golden."

No comments: